Friday 21 September 2012

COPS KILL ANOTHER DOG


ELDORADO -- An Eldorado man is demanding justice after he says a police officer shot and killed his dog.

The Eldorado Police Department won't comment on the incident because it is under investigation. The dog's owner, Jason Robershaw, says the shooting was a gross error of judgement by an officer, and he wants to make sure his dog's death doesn't get swept under the rug.

"He was my best friend, so I just don't want this to go away quietly," said Robershaw.

Robershaw's six-year-old German Shepherd, Smokey, was more than a dog, he was a member of the family.

"I just sat here and watched my dog die," said Robershaw.

Robershaw said he and his fiancée were eating dinner last Sunday evening, when they heard a knock at the back door. A few moments later they heard a bark, a gunshot, then silence.

"Immediately when I opened the door I saw my dog lying there about 18-inches from the end of his chain. He was just shaking, and his tongue was hanging out and blood was coming out," said Robershaw.

Robershaw said an Eldorado officer told him he feared for his life. He claimed the dog came at him and attacked him when he knocked on the door. Robershaw says his dog was not dangerous, and he believes the officer made a poor decision out of panic.

"The officer had no right to come on my private property and shoot my dog, which was on a leash. The dog was doing what it's supposed to do. It is the protector of this house," said Robershaw.

To make matters worse, Robershaw said it all could have been avoided.

"He was at the wrong house, he was here to investigate a stolen ladder," said Robershaw. Robershaw says that the house the officer wanted was actually one block away.

"I can't say exactly what happened in the two to three seconds that it took for me to get to the door, but all I know is within that two to three seconds my dog was laying on the ground. It's something I'm going to remember for the rest of my life," said Robershaw.

News 3 filed a freedom of information request for a copy of the police report. Police Chief Shannon Deuel says it should be ready for release on Monday. The officer at the center of the investigation remains on active duty. Chief Deuel says the officer has worked at the department just short of one year.


http://www.wsiltv.com/news/local/Eldorado-Man-Accuses-Police-of-Killing-Dog-170392616.html

No comments:


Followers